Dec 6, 2009

Review: The Glass Castle (by Jeannette Walls)

The Glass Castle is a great memoir by Jeannette Walls, in which she recounts her childhood in vivid detail.  The family continually moved from state to state (but always in the middle of the night). Her dad was a radical man, an alcoholic, a dreamer, and he did not provide the basic necessities for his family. Her mother was an aspiring artist and school teacher but nothing ever materialized with that either.  They went from poor to rich to extremely poor, never managing the money they acquired, even through inheritance.  Her accounts were of a childhood of extremely hard times, living in horrific circumstances, dealing with hunger, rejection from neighbours and school friends because of their living conditions.  Eventually Jeannette and her three siblings make their way to New York city, making successful lives and careers for themselves.

Overall, this is a great book that really opens your eyes to how rough some children have it growing up in very tough environments. The topic in this book is such a serious one, but there are many episodes that made me laugh out loud.  You can't help but find humour in some of the antics of this colorful family.  I would recommend this book to anyone.

This book was borrowed from a friend.

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book. It was so readable, I finished it in 2 days! Very intriguing childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. I savored and enjoyed the details. I was "wowed" by the story of survival. This book is my favorite 2009 read. It was profound to me. I wish I was a writer/reviewer sometimes and could put my love of a book into words. Not my talent. You have it my friend!

    Thanks for the review.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies, I really appreciate your comments. It was an awesome book, and it was very easy to write a review on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Came over from Cym Lowell's Book Review Blog Party (BRBP).

    By your review, Jeannette Walls sounds like a good story teller...

    My Book Review Blog Party offering: http://www.cherrymischievous.com/2009/12/hush-hush.html

    Cherry
    www.cherrymischievous.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom really liked this book too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After reading the review of this
    book, I went out to purchase it.
    Thanks for the review, it does
    make it easier for me to know
    which books I like to buy.

    ReplyDelete