Saturday, December 5

Review: The Memory Keeper's Daughter (by Kim Edwards)

I picked up this book a few months ago, not knowing what to expect.  It has been sitting in my "to be read" pile since then, and I finally found some time to read it. I was immediately drawn into this fascinating story of twins separated at birth, their parents, and the nurse who chose to raise the rejected child as her own. Deep secrets, regrets, and painful memories haunt the entire family. This is the story of their journey towards healing and forgiveness.

"This stunning novel begins on a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down's syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own. Compulsively readable and deeply moving, The Memory Keeper's Daughter is a brilliantly crafted story of parallel lives, familial secrets, and the redemptive power of love." [quote from the back cover]

Read this book ... you won't regret it.

This book was purchased by me, for my personal collection.

4 comments:

  1. Wow this one sounds great-putting it on my TBR list for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read this book, but did see the movie and loved it. Since the book is almost 100% always better than the movie, I really need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this one when it was first released and loved it, a very emotional read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read and reviewed this book last year. I enjoyed it very much too.

    ReplyDelete