Thursday, December 24

Review: Saving Cicadas (by Nicole Seitz)

Saving Cicadas had me wrapped up in the lives of an unforgettable family, and I couldn't put this book down until I was finished.  All the characters captured my attention - there is 8 year old Janie, her 17 year old sister Rainey with Down Syndrome, their mother Priscilla who is unhappily expecting another baby, and a set of rather peculiar grandparents. Spending time with the characters in this book was intriguing, the family dynamics were always changing and totally unpredictable, and individual family members were entirely believable. This is the story of a summer in the lives of this unconventional family as they strive to discover the truth about their past, their beliefs and how these truths will shape their future.

"Part road trip, part mystery, and completely unexpected, Saving Cicadas picks you up in one place and puts you down someplace else entirely. It's an eloquent reminder that life is a miracle - and even the smallest soul is a gift."

Very deep issues are brought to the surface in this book, and you will never look at these controversial topics in the same way after reading this story. The first several chapters seemed very slow and I almost didn't continue, but I am so glad that I did. The beginning chapters were needed to lay the groundwork for the story, and I am so glad I didn't give up. Although classified as fiction, and with a lot of fantasy rolled in, it is a great story that I won't be forgetting for a very long time.

Overall, I would give this book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars, or even higher. In fact, I enjoyed this book so much that I had to check out what other books were written by Nicole Seitz. I have just placed an order for The Spirit of Sweetgrass and Trouble the Water. Both of these books sound very good too, and I can't wait for them to arrive.



This book Saving Cicadas was received from Thomas Nelson Publishing as part of their Book Reviewers program, for the purpose of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment