Jan 31, 2010

Review: Brenin's Crown, A Celtic Romance (by Janet Ruth)

From the days of Camelot and Arthur comes this stirring tale of fantasy and romance. Brenin's Crown is the story of a woman torn between her love for one man and her desire to protect her father's kingdom. Growing to womanhood in dangerous times, she must face disappointment, betrayal, and isolation while keeping a secret that many would die to discover. For she alone has the power to choose who will take her father's place as king. As the daughter and only child of Queen Morveren and King Brenin, young Addien leads a life of luxury and security. But when all that is torn from her, she must learn to survive by relying on her own courage and strength of character. In doing so, she also learns about trusting others and holding on to her faith. Set in the Dark Ages of British history, the story moves from a sophisticated Roman-built city, to a ring of standing stones on a wild moor, to an ancient Celtic stronghold, each based on actual historical sites. In this land of contrast merged the passion of the Celts, the intelligence of the Romans, and the influence of the early Christian church. This is where faith and fantasy meet, where good and evil are not always clearly defined, and it is not always possible to know the right thing to do.

MY REVIEW

First of all, I need to clarify something. I did not write this book. Check out my earlier post here if you want details about how I first heard about Janet Ruth, the author of Brenin's Crown.

This book is filled with passion, loyalty, danger, tough life-changing decisions and so much more. Add in some fantasy, a child's "imaginary" friend, and a little magic. I was lost in a story that could be classified as a fairytale, but a beautiful and unforgettable one. The historical setting is believable and almost enchanting, yet it was easy to follow.

I have heard the expression "escaping into a book" and this was one of the best escapes I have had for a long time. The characters drew me into their lives, and I didn't want it to end. My biggest regret with this book was reaching the last page.

I really hope that Janet Ruth (the other Janet Ruth, not me) will write a sequel to this book someday soon.

I would give this a rating of 5 out of 5 stars!

Thank you to Janet Ruth for sending me a complimentary copy of Brenin's Crown: A Celtic Romance for the purpose of review.

# Paperback: 308 pages
# Publisher: BookSurge Publishing (December 22, 2009)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 1439266050
# ISBN-13: 978-1439266052

No comments:

Post a Comment