Saturday, March 13

66 Love Letters by Dr. Larry Crabb (Review)

The story of God written in intimate love letters just for you.

Dr. Larry Crabb knows that if we could see the larger story of God and humanity, our world would never be the same. That story is found in large part in the sixty-six letters of the Bible.

Written in a conversational first person, as if God is speaking directly to us, Dr. Crabb looks at each individual book in scripture and boils it down to a one- or two-sentence message to us from that particular book. He then unpacks each sentence in a short chapter answering the question, What does God want me to hear from this love letter? The book's epilogue then fits all sixty-six pieces of the jigsaw puzzle together into one coherent paragraph and reveals the beautiful picture of what God has been about since the creation of the world. Far from being comprehensive, this is a personal approach to helping readers know God and his great love for them, his message for all mankind, and how their lives fit into His larger story.

MY REVIEW

66 Love Letters is an amazing book about finding our own place in God's story. There are 66 chapters, one for each book of the Bible, both the Old and New Testaments. In each chapter, Dr. Crabb presents a dialogue between man and God. He asks God a lot of questions, and God has such relevant and timely responses, very applicable to how we feel and the things we are going through. It makes the scriptures come alive in a very personal way.

Dr. Crabb recommends that the reader does not attempt to read this book straight through in a week or two, like a novel. He suggests instead to read one chapter per week, then read the corresponding "love letter" itself from the Bible. This is exactly what I have been doing, and I am savoring each chapter as I go, taking time to read the scriptures before moving on to the next chapter in the book. I don't want to rush through this book. I want to take my time, and slowly digest each portion on the way.

Even though I want to take my time with reading my copy of this book, just as the author suggests, I don't want to postpone my review until I am finished. I am in a hurry to encourage others to get this book ... now! Start reading this book, and follow the format that Dr. Crabb suggests, and get into studying the Bible just the way God intended.

As written in the inside cover flap, "When you hear the master Storyteller tell His story - and your part in it - a shift happens in the center of your heart. You pause in the middle of terrific blessings or terrible trials or maybe just everyday life, and you say, "So that's what it's all about!"

My rating - 5 out of 5

Thank you to Book Sneeze (Thomas Nelson) for providing a complimentary copy of this book for the purpose of review.

No comments:

Post a Comment