Saturday, April 3

God Never Blinks by Regina Brett

50 Lessons for Life's Little Detours

Already an internet phenomenon, these wise and insightful lessons by popular newspaper columnist and Pulitzer Prize finalist Regina Brett will make you see the possibilities in your life in a whole new way.

When Regina Brett turned 50, she wrote a column on the 50 lessons life had taught her. She reflected on all she had learned through becoming a single parent, looking for love in all the wrong places, working on her relationship with God, battling cancer and making peace with a difficult childhood. It became one of the most popular columns ever published in the newspaper, and since then the 50 lessons have been emailed to hundreds of thousands of people.

Brett now takes the 50 lessons and expounds on them in essays that are deeply personal. From "Don't take yourself too seriously - Nobody else does" to "Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift," these lessons will strike a chord with anyone who has ever gone through tough times -- and haven't we all?


ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Regina Brett has been a newspaper columnist for fourteen years, eight of them for Cleveland's Plain Dealer, where she was a finalist in 2008 and 2009 for the Pulitzer Prize in Commentary. She also hosts a call-in talk show once a week on WCPN, the Cleveland NPR affiliate, and speaks regularly to companies and not-for-profit organizations.

MY REVIEW

This awesome little book is one that I will read again, and again. The 50 short chapters/lessons are packed full of great words of wisdom that inspire, challenge and motivate the reader to look at things differently.  The message that spoke to me the loudest in this book was to simply "lighten up"!

Here are some of the chapter topics:
  • You don't have to win every argument.  Agree to disagree.
  • Cry with someone.  It's more healing than crying alone.
  • It's OK to get angry with God.  He can take it.
  • Make peace with your past so it doesn't screw up the present.
  • Don't compare your journey with others'.  You have no idea what their journey is all about.
  • No one else is in charge of your happiness.  You are the CEO of your joy.
  • Be eccentric now.  Don't wait for old age to wear purple.
  • God loves you because of who God is, not because of anything you did or didn't do.
  • Growing old beats the alternative.  Dying young looks good only in movies.
I love this book, and I don't want to part with my copy.  I want to buy a copy for my sister who has just finished cancer treatments.  I need to buy one for my daughter who has recently become a single mom with three small children.  My parents need a copy too, as they are in the midst of moving from their home into a senior's lodge.  I am sure that at least one of my co-workers could find some words of wisdom to help them right now.  And maybe even the grumpy guy who lives next door?

Thank you Regina Brett, for this great little orange book ... it's a keeper!!


I received a complimentary copy of this book from Hachette Books, for the purpose of review.

Category: SELF-HELP
Publish Date: 4/13/2010
ISBN: 9780446556521
Pages: 256
Size: 5-1/2" x 8-1/4"

1 comment:

  1. I have recently found a love of book review blogs. I'm a reader at heart but I haven't had the time lately. Maybe this will spur me on!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm a new follower.

    ~Amber @ The Mom Road

    ReplyDelete