May 5, 2010

The Art of Choosing by Sheena Iyengar

Every day we make choices. Coke or Pepsi? Save or spend? Stay or go?

Whether mundane or life-altering, these choices define us and shape our lives. Sheena Iyengar asks the difficult questions about how and why we choose: Is the desire for choice innate or bound by culture? Why do we sometimes choose against our best interests? How much control do we really have over what we choose? Sheena Iyengar's award-winning research reveals that the answers are surprising and profound. In our world of shifting political and cultural forces, technological revolution, and interconnected commerce, our decisions have far-reaching consequences. Use THE ART OF CHOOSING as your companion and guide for the many challenges ahead.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Sheena Iyengar's groundbreaking research on choice has been funded by the National Science Foundation, the National Institute of Mental Health, and the National Security Education Program. She holds degrees from UPenn, The Wharton School of Business, and Stanford University. She is a professor at Columbia University, and a recipient of the Presidential Early Career Award. Her work is regularly cited in periodicals as diverse as Fortune and Time magazines, the NYT and the WSJ, in books such as Blink and The Paradox of Choice.



MY REVIEW

I don't usually like listening to audio books, and unfortunately this book didn't change my mind. I gave it an honest try, but the narration didn't capture my attention, even after several hours of listening. There were a few concepts and personal stories about the author that I did enjoy, but I find it hard to go back and review those portions without listening to the entire CD again.

I guess I should stick to reading old-fashioned books printed on paper, and then I can leave post-it notes on sections that I want to go back and read again. I feel that I can't do Sheena Iyengar justice on this review, as I believe it was the audio format that I had problems with, not necessarily the concepts in the book.

Thank you to Hachette Books for providing a complimentary copy of this audio book for the purpose of my honest review.

2 comments:

  1. I don't listen to audio books often (maybe 4 in the last 2 years) but I can tell immediately if I am going to detest the audio strictly based on the narrators voice. Unfortunately there is no real way to prep for that unless you get a sneak listen before you buy :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your honesty. I need to try this one.

    ReplyDelete