Jul 13, 2010

Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore

A true, inspirational story that crosses the barriers of society.

Meet Denver, raised under plantation-style slavery in Louisiana until he escaped "da Man"—in the 1960s—by hopping a train. Then, after another 18 homeless years on the streets of Dallas, God moved . . . and a godly woman named Deborah prayed, listened, and obeyed. Mountains began to move, beginning with her husband, Ron, an international art dealer accustomed to the world of Armani suits and art-collecting millionaires.

The story takes a devasting twist when Deborah discovers she has cancer. Will Deborah live or die? Will Denver learn to trust a white man? Will Ron embrace his dying wife's vision to rescue Denver? Or will Denver be the one rescuing Ron?

There's pain and laughter, doubt and tears, and in the end a triumphal story that readers will never forget.

MY REVIEW

Same Kind of Different As Me is the story of an unusual friendship that develops between Denver, a black homeless man and Ron, a very wealthy white man.  Ron's wife Deborah felt led to donate time at a neighbourhood homeless shelter, and she somehow convinced her husband Ron to join her, one night a week to start. Their lives were forever changed as Deborah's empathy with the homeless had an astronomical impact on their whole family, their friends, and the entire neighbourhood.

Ron's life was changed as his focus turned from making millions to caring for everyone he came in contact with.  Denver's life changed from a rough street life of loneliness and frustration to a life of confidence, faith in God, and a heart for those less fortunate than himself.  

I loved this book, and it is definitely one that I will read again. It made me laugh, it brought me to tears (several times), and I am also inspired to do my part to make a difference in the world. Reading the true story of these two amazing men has opened my eyes to a world that I have never experienced. Their faith, their determination, their unconditional love, and their willingness to step out of their comfort zone is incredible, to say the least.

I can't recommend this book highly enough. Read it, you won't regret it.

I love this quote by Denver on page 169.  "There's somethin I learned when I was homeless:  Our limitation is God's opportunity.  When you get all the way to the end of your rope and there ain't nothin you can do, that's when God takes over."

Disclosure: I received a review copy of Same Kind of Different As Me from Book Sneeze (Thomas Nelson's Book Reviewer Program), in exchange for my honest review. I received no compensation for my thoughts.

Same Kind Of Different As Me
Paperback: 256 pages
Publisher: Thomas Nelson Publishers (Mar 11 2008)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 084991910X
ISBN-13: 978-0849919107

1 comment:

  1. How does one relate to things which seem so far removed from one’s own life? When in reality it’s only a step away from “but for the grace of God, therefore go I,” which is a heavenly Father’s constant love for one. We don’t always understand the reason for such disparity in life, but God does, and his love is always with us. It just sometimes takes one longer to journey God’s purposed plan for one’s life. I’ve also written about such a journey in Mommy’s Writings: Mommy, would you like a sandwich? It’s a true story, which will be in the Marketplace by year-end 2010. Through it all, I never stopped believing or trusting in our heavenly Father, even when my ability to grasp his answers to questions that seemed never to come–but they did come–and I’m grateful to God in having humbled me. Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore will bless everyone who reads it. Thank you for having written the story. Thank you, Denver, for your words are so true: “Our limitation is God's opportunity.” God bless you for having shared this part of your journey in life.

    Suzanne McMillen-Fallon, Published Author
    www.strategicbookpublishing.com/Mommy, would you like a sandwich?

    ReplyDelete