Through firsthand research and personal relationships, Suzanne Woods Fisher has collected more than 200 proverbs that uncover the rich heritage, folklore, faith, values, history, and essence of the Plain People. These proverbs serve as teaching tools and maxims for practical living--but they're not just for the Amish. They're for anyone who seeks God's wisdom and truth for everyday circumstances.
Ranging from the simple to the profound, from the serious to the humorous, these sayings will stick with you through life's joys and sorrows. With beautiful full-color photos throughout, Amish Proverbs is the perfect gift for any occasion.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Suzanne Woods Fisher is the CBA bestselling author of The Choice, The Waiting, Amish Peace, and Amish Proverbs. Her interest in the Anabaptist cultures can be directly traced to her grandfather, W. D. Benedict, who was raised in the Old Order German Baptist Brethren Church in Franklin County, Pennsylvania. Benedict eventually became publisher of Christianity Today magazine. Suzanne is the host of a radio show called Amish Wisdom and her work has appeared in many magazines. She lives in California. Find out more about Suzanne at www.suzannewoodsfisher.com
Check out my blog post from last week about an exciting Amish Proverbs KINDLE contest.
Visit other blog tour participants in the Amish Proverbs Blog Tour.
This little book is a treasure that I will definitely read again. It is filled with words of wisdom that everyone can relate to. Here are some of my favorites from the book:
- Faith is the bridge over which we can cross all the unknown waters of tomorrow.
- Our children are the only treasures we can take to heaven.
- Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you can.
Amish Proverbs is divided into several sections including Time, Money, Faith, Children & Family, In Word & Deed, Work Ethic, Handling Adversity, Education, Community, and Just for Fun. Each section includes a few pages of relevant stories, history or insights into the Amish way of life.
I especially enjoyed the Just for Fun section. We might think that the Amish are too serious about life to have a sense of humour, but this little book proves otherwise. How about these?
- Every family tree has a little sap.
- Kissing wears out, cooking don't.
- Nothing is quite so annoying as to have someone go right on talking when you are interrupting.
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of Amish Proverbs from Litfuse in exchange for my honest review.
Amish Proverbs: Words of Wisdom from the Simple Life
Hardcover: 205 pages
Publisher: Revell (Aug 1 2010)
Thanks to Suzanne Woods Fisher and Litfuse, one reader of this blog will win a copy of Amish Proverbs.
- MANDATORY ENTRY - Leave a proverb or special quote that means a lot to you. (No proverb, no entry).
- Also leave your email address (No email address, no entry).
- One entry per person.
- US and Canada only, ends Saturday, September 4.