Friday, August 13

Petunia Pepper's Picture Day by Cathy Breisacher

Poor Petunia Pepper! Every year, disaster strikes on her school picture day. Puffy hair, pumpkin-style smiles and pink eye help her take pictures that only her family could love. But this year, Petunia promises herself things are going to change. She carefully plans for the perfect picture day. But when she misses the school bus, a series of misadventures begins that leads to yet another picture day fiasco. Will Petunia's perfect picture be ruined, or will she finally take a picture everybody in her class will love?

The story also features a "Time Out for God's Word" page that parents and teachers can use to reinforce the biblical foundation of the story with children. Kids are reminded how much God loves them, just the way they are, by focusing on the following scriptures:

" For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Psalm 139:13-14 NIV " See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me. Isaiah 49:16 NIV " Keep me as the apple of your eye; hide me in the shadow of your wings. Psalm 17:8 NIV " For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10 NIV

About the Author: Cathy Breisacher

Cathy Breisacher has been a member of the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators since 2000. Ever since elementary school, she has enjoyed writing stories and has had a fascination with fun, humorous and meaningful children's books. She graduated from the Pennsylvania State University with a Bachelor's and Master's Degree, along with a certification in school counseling; then completed a writing course through the Institute for Children's Literature. Cathy and her husband, Chuck, are the youth leaders at their church and enjoy writing youth lessons and skits for their group.

About the Illustrator: Christian Elden

Since the first grade when his teacher photocopied his drawings for the rest of the students to color, Christian Elden has been hooked on drawing pictures for others to enjoy. Today, he's an award-winning designer, illustrator and published author with the goal of sparking the imaginations of children everywhere, in much the same way his was sparked long ago. He and his wife, Liz, reside in Indiana with their two young children.

MY REVIEW

What a great little book!  Poor Petunia Pepper is having a really bad day, and everything that could possibly go wrong ... does go wrong.  She was so worried about looking perfect for picture day, but one catastrophe after another happens on her way to school (pancake syrup on her dress, slipping on a banana peel, colliding with a hotdog vendor, slipping into a puddle, and more).  The illustrations are fun, and I am sure that kids of all ages would love reading this book over and over again, and laughing at the crazy things that happen to Petunia. The important lesson in this book is about how much God loves each and every one of us, just the way we are.  I would love to share this book with my grandchildren, and have added it to my "Grandma's wish list".

Disclosure: I reviewed an online version of this book through Net Galley. I received no compensation for my thoughts.

Petunia Pepper's Picture Day
Hardcover: 32 pages
Publisher: Warner Press (July 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1593173970
ISBN-13: 978-1593173975

No comments:

Post a Comment