Sunday, November 28

In the Company of Others by Jan Karon

With Home to Holly Springs, New York Times bestselling author Jan Karon launched a new series, The Father Tim Novels, featuring the retired Episcopal priest that her readers have come to love. In the second novel in the series, Father Tim and Cynthia travel to Ireland to do genealogical research and discover family secrets. Jan's new book will surely delight her avid fans, earn her new ones, and send them running for the first book in the series as well as all the Mitford books.

Visit the author's website and read the first chapter of In the Company of Others at http://www.mitfordbooks.com/

MY THOUGHTS

This is the first book I have read by Jan Karon, and I wish I had started with the first book in the Father Tim series. I got the feeling that I missed a lot by delving into this one first, without knowing the history of Mitford and Father Tim. I especially want to find out more about Father Tim and how he decided to marry for the first time at the age of 60 plus.

This story is about Father Tim and Cynthia's long-awaited vacation in Ireland, and it is filled with rich history and special relationships with both new and old friends. Yet I felt disappointed that I didn't know what these people were like when they were at home. I think I need to locate an earlier book and start over to get the full benefit of this story.

I have read some reviews where readers have found this book boring or disappointing, but I don't agree. I wasn't bored with the story, but maybe a bit frustrated at times that I didn't know what had happened earlier. This book should not be read as a stand-alone novel, but would be best read in the proper sequence.

Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of In the Company of Others from Penguin Group (Canada) in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. If you have never read any of the Father Tim stories you have missed out. I look forward to reading the first book in the new series as well as this one. Sure to be a great read.

    ReplyDelete