Thursday, February 10

Talking with God in Old Age by Missy Buchanan

In Talking with God in Old Age, Missy Buchanan sensitively address the worries, fears, and frustrations of older adults and extends hope, encouraging them to maintain an open dialogue with God. Each reading features:
  • A candid conversation with God
  • A related passage from Psalms
  • Easy-to-read print
Seniors grappling with the aging process will readily identify with these reflections and will find reassurance of God’s Presence. Caregivers, family members, and others seeking to understand aging loved ones will gain insight into the thoughts and emotions of the elderly frail.

Visit Missy Buchanan’s website, www.missybuchanan.com, and blog, http://missybu.wordpress.com/

Click here for an awesome Q&A with the author.

Publisher: Upper Room Books; Lrg edition (March 2010)
Pages: 96
ISBN-10: 083581016X
ISBN-13: 978-0835810166
Product Dimensions: 22.9 x 15 x 0.8 cm


MY THOUGHTS

For anyone who is elderly and living alone, they are probably lonely. No matter how many friends and family members they have, they still spend countless hours alone.  This great devotional book is designed specifically for the journey that so many of our seniors find themselves in.

Missy Buchanan has beautifully captured the emotions, fears and worries of the elderly.  The meditations and psalms are transparent in a way I have never seen before.

When reading through this book, I can't help but think of my Mom, who is recently widowed after 62 years of marriage.  She always puts on a brave front, and we rarely see her cry.  The following poem called Tears made me really wonder what it must be like for her, now living in a senior's lodge in a tiny one room space.


TEARS

No one expects someone as old as me to cry, but I do.
Usually I cry when no one can see.
I just lean against the shower wall and let the tears fall, water against water.
Sometimes when I go to bed at night, I have a private little cry.
The kind where tears slide sideways across my face and onto the pillow.
Other times tears never come.
There's just a sadness that washes over me, flooding my weary soul.
I wonder if anyone cares about what I'm going through.
Does anyone really understand what it's like to grow old?
Then I remember:
My tears are dear to you, God.
You understand when no one else does.
So tonight I will close my swollen eyes.
And tomorrow I will rediscover the joy of a new day.

Psalm 30:5b
Weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.


Losing a spouse, moving out of your house, and losing independence must be devastating. There are so many that also lose their dignity as their body functions fail and frail bodies prevent them from getting around on their own. So many changes, that it must be really hard to cope at times.

If someone in your life needs encouragement and understanding in their golden years, please consider getting a copy of this book to share with them.  I can't wait to share this book with my Mom and see what she thinks, but my guess is that she will love it!

Tailored specifically to extend hope and encouragement to seniors, this book is also an invaluable tool for anyone who cares for seniors, either personally or professionally.  It helps to understand the worries, fears and frustrations that seniors are dealing with on a daily basis.

Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of Talking with God in Old Age through The B&B Media Group, in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. This book sounds like it really feels a need, both for seniors and for those who love them.

    ReplyDelete