Apr 18, 2011

Max on Life by Max Lucado

We have questions. Child-like inquiries. And deep, heavy ones.

In more than twenty-five years of writing and ministry, Max Lucado has been the receiving line for thousands of such questions. The questions come in letters, e-mails, even on Dunkin Donuts napkins. In Max on Life he offers thoughtful answers to more than 150 of the most pressing questions on topics ranging from hope to hurt, from home to the hereafter.

Max writes about the role of prayer, the purpose of pain, and the reason for our ultimate hope. He responds to the day-to-day questions—parenting quandaries, financial challenges, difficult relationships—as well as to the profound: Is God really listening?

A special addendum includes Max’s advice on writing and publishing.

Including topical and scriptural indexes and filled with classic Lucado encouragement and insight, Max on Life will quickly become a favorite resource for pastors and ministry leaders as well as new and mature believers.

Visit the author's website at http://www.maxlucado.com



MY THOUGHTS

Max Lucado is one of the best loved authors of Christian inspirational books, and one of my favourites. His latest book called Max on Life is filled with responses to the most often asked questions about life, relationships, and so much more.

The book is divided into seven sections: Hope, Hurt, Help, Him/Her, Home, Haves/Have-Nots, and Hereafter. There are a total of 172 questions, each totally relevant in today's society. Most of the answers are one page long, sometimes a little longer.

I did a little test to find an answer to one of my own questions. I checked out the thorough Topical Index at the back of the book, specifically looking for what Max had to say about suicide. The following is a quote from the book:




#156.  WHAT DOES GOD THINK OF SUICIDE VICTIMS? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN FOR THEIR SALVATION? FOR OUR MEMORIES? FOR OUR PEACE OF MIND?

Suicide victims battled life's rawest contests. They often faced a mental illness or illnesses and felt the peril of mental fatigue. What you and I take for granted, they coveted. Optimism. Hope. Confidence that all will be well. Their clouds had no silver linings; their storms had no rainbows.

Didn't we wonder, "Why couldn't he snap out of this slump ... shrug off this case of the blues ... buck up and move forward? Of course, had the struggle been a physical one, we wouldn't have asked those questions. Of cancer patients we don't ask, "Why didn't they get rid of that melanoma?" We understand the power of cancer. We may not understand the mystery of mental illness. I certainly don't. But this much I have observed. Depression causes good people to make the wrong choice.

Let's be clear: suicide is the wrong choice. The date of our death is God's to choose, not ours. He gives life, and he takes it. When people orchestrate their own death, they make the wrong choice.

But is the mistake a spiritually fatal one? Do we despair of any hope of their eternal salvation? Are we left with the nightmarish conclusion that heaven holds no place for them?

By no means. For while suicide is the wrong choice, have not we all made wrong choices? And did Christ not come for people like us? Frame their lives rightly. Remember good decisions. Catalog blue-ribbon days. Jesus said, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." (Matt. 11:28 NKJV). God does not measure a person by one decision, nor should we.



This book has answered many questions on topics that I have wondered about, and it had me actually shaking my head at others. It is amazing what people might ask, when they really don't know the scriptural answer. Here are some of the questions that I marked to read again:

  • I believed in forgiveness until our ex-son-in-law broke our daughter's heart. He cheated on her, dropped her, and now is demanding custody of our grandchild. Forgiveness? Not likely.
  • I often wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep. So much to do. So many things could go wrong. How can I calm my mind?
  • Our little boy suffers with a crippling disease. It breaks my heart to see him suffer physical pain. But it hurts even more when he suffers pain from rejection and hurtful words from other children. Sometimes I can barely breathe because my heart hurts so much. How can I keep his suffering in perspective?
  • My husband and I want to be hospitable, but our house is small, and I'm a lousy cook, so I hesitate to invite people over. My husband says these things don't matter as much as being hospitable. Is he right?
Max Lucado has brought all these questions and answers together into an invaluable resource that I know I will be using again and again. I highly recommend this book.

Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of Max on Life through Book Sneeze, in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment