Tuesday, May 10

Knitting Knee-Highs by Barb Brown

Sock Styles from Classic to Contemporary

In this book, author Barb Brown takes sock knitting to new heights by teaching you the ins and outs of knitting kneehighs, a popular sock, but one that needs more explanation than most books and magazines give it. Here, in the first book on the topic, you will learn how to size these socks as you knit them, with 20 great patterns to pick from. Each of the 20 knee-high patterns comes with a variation that features that design in a different color and style of sock, perfect for knitters who want to mix up their sock drawer.

Knitting Knee-Highs
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Krause Publications; 1 edition (February 24, 2011)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 9781440213694
ISBN-13: 978-1440213694
Product Dimensions: 10.8 x 8.3 x 0.6 inches

MY THOUGHTS

I love to knit and crochet, but I have never attempted to make socks.  My mother spoils everyone in the family and keeps us well stocked with her trademark pattern.  But they are not pretty socks (sorry, Mom).  They are bulky, very warm and they last forever, and I love them.  But I have never been able to wear them with normal shoes or boots. 

Along comes Barb Brown with an amazing pattern book of pretty socks.  I wish I could show you some of the pictures from this book.  Some designs are soft and cuddly, some are light and airy, and some are just amazingly pretty. Some are a work of art, and it would be very hard to not show them off!  This book is filled with so many styles and patterns that I can't wait to get started.

I enjoyed reading the knee-high formula that helps to customize the fit of each sock design.  There are  details on how to convert any of the sock patterns into leg warmers.  I found the history/inspiration of each sock design very interesting as well.

Overall, I am very impressed with the variety of sock patterns, the high quality pictures and the easy to read instructions.  This is a great resource book for anyone who loves to knit.

Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of this book courtesy of Book Sneeze, in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment