Wednesday, June 15

Pieces of Light by Julie Cave


Detective Dinah Harris hunts down a serial bomber targeting religious icons and buildings. The bomber is on a mission to rid the city of religion and establish a ‘new world order’. Can someone so intent on ridding the world of God experience redemption? What lies behind his hatred of God? Will his darkened soul search for pieces of light?

The first two books of the series, Deadly Disclosures and The Shadowed Mind reveal the amazing grace of God while showcasing a world losing sight of Him. In Pieces of Light, Cave’s continues her compelling storylines using believable characters and realistic situations to:
  • Identify the importance of living under the authority of the Bible
  • Deliver a Biblical worldview perspective to current events
  • Illustrate the power of Jesus’s sacrifice and desire to redeem every life
  • Provide believers a resource easy to share with skeptics

Connect with the author Julie Cave online at juliecave.com

MY THOUGHTS

Julie Cave captured my attention on the first page of her new book titled Pieces of Light. I have read the two previous books in the Dinah Harris Mystery series, and they are some of my favourites. Here are links to my earlier reviews of Deadly Disclosures and The Shadowed Mind.

In Pieces of Light, Dinah Harris is attempting to solve a case of mysterious and seemingly random church bombings.  There doesn't seem to be an obvious connection, as first a Catholic Church is targeted, then a Methodist Church and finally an Episcopalian Church. They don't have much to follow for clues, except for a common explosive used.

The characters in this book are memorable, and the story covers many years in their lives.  It shows how a troubled and abusive childhood can easily lead to being an angry and dysfunctional adult.  It also shows how a recovering alcoholic can find peace and joy, and finally learn to deal with pain from her past.

What I love so much about Julie Cave novels is how she writes about deep issues in society. In this particular story, she talks about domestic and child abuse, political corruption, alcoholism, and more.  Yet in spite of all these problems, she offers hope to each of the characters.

Julie Cave novels always challenge and inspire me to think about my own life.  I can't help but wonder how I would have reacted in similar situations.  I wonder if I would have had the courage to make a stand and be supportive and compassionate when the odds were against me.

I highly recommend this book!

Disclosure: I received a digital copy of Pieces of Light courtesy of New Leaf Publishing Group in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment: