Saturday, July 9

River's Song by Melody Carlson

Following her mother’s funeral, and on the verge of her own mid-life crisis, Anna Larson returns to the home of her youth to sort out her parents’ belongings, as well as her own turbulent life. This unique family home is situated on a picturesque coastal tributary and filled with an assortment of nostalgic memories. But Anna soon learns that more than just her past resides along the banks of the Siuslaw River; her future will be discovered there as well. For the first time since childhood, Anna begins to embrace her native heritage and river roots. She finds healing and hope, restores some old relationships, initiates some new ones, explores romance, and begins to grow into the woman that God intended her to be. By transforming her old family home into Shining Waters Inn, Anna creates a place of healing — a place where guests experience peace, grace, and new beginnings.

Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books. She is the author of novels for both teens and women including Love Finds You in Sisters, Oregon, Limelight, the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series. Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspirational market for her books, including the Notes from a Spinning Planet series and Finding Alice, which has been optioned for production as a Life-time Television movie. Her adult novel, Homeward, won a Rita Award. She and her husband serve on the Young Life adult committee in central Oregon. Visit Melody's website at www.melodycarlson.com.

Title: River's Song
SubTitle: The Inn at Shining Waters Series
Publisher: Abingdon Press
Imprint: United Methodist Publishing House
Pub Date: 08/01/2011
ISBN: 9781426712661

MY THOUGHTS

Sometimes a book captures your heart, and River's Song is one of those books for me. I would love to crawl right into this story and live right in the middle of it all. I love, love, love the quaint little country store where Anna grew up. I wish I could experience firsthand all the changes as it is converted into a country inn. I wanted to go shopping with Anna for furnishings and linens. A trip with her down the river in her grandmother's old canoe had me longing for the peace and tranquility that Anna found by going back to her family roots.

I have read a few other books by Melody Carlson, but this one is my favourite so far. Maybe it's the season in my own life that made me easily relate to what Anna was experiencing in this story. River's Song is an absolutely captivating story that transports the reader into another time and place, a very refreshing and feel-good kind of experience.

Disclosure: I reviewed this electronic galley through Net Galley, courtesy of the publisher Abingdon Press. I was not compensated for my thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a book I would like to read, and isn't the cover art perfection itself? The artist did a great job too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great book. I am going to go look for it now for my Kindle. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete