Monday, September 12

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Inspiration for the Young at Heart


Life begins again at 60! Crossing that magic age might bring a few new wrinkles but also new experiences. This collection is full of humorous and fun adventures from those who are actively enjoying their "senior years!" Stories about new careers, volunteer work, sports and sport cars, love, family, and travels will amuse and invigorate readers.

Visit the Chicken Soup for the Soul website.

Chicken Soup for the Soul, Inspiration for the Young at Heart
Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Chicken Soup for the Soul; Original edition (Aug 23 2011)
ISBN-13: 978-1935096719
Product Dimensions: 21.6 x 14 x 2.5 cm

Jack Canfield and Mark Victor Hansen are co-founders of Chicken Soup for the Soul. Amy Newmark is publisher and editor-in-chief of Chicken Soup for the Soul.

Who doesn't love to laugh?  And how about learning important life lessons from those who have traveled this road before us?  I was thrilled to receive a review copy of Chicken Soup for the Soul, Inspiration for the Young at Heart.

Here is the beginning of one of my favourite stories from this book, Dye Hard, Too

I woke up Friday and my hair was purple. I am not talking about grandma-got-a-bad-consult-from-the-cosmetology-student purple. Oh no. This was more like HazMat-clean-up-needed-in-aisle-12-large-woman-plowed-through-the-grape-plutonium purple. Not coincidentally, that was my last day at my job.

In this little story, the author Mitchell Kyd shares how she had planned for months to start her "early" retirement with a bang. The night before her final day in the office, she literally had her hair dyed bright purple.

The reactions from others when they saw her new look varied from shock to humor. Mitchell refused to be hurt or angry, but she chose instead to be amused. It gave her the opportunity to tell others about her drive to be fearless in the face of uncertainty as she faced middle aged unemployment. As Bette Davis once said, "Old age ain't no place for sissies."

I have read many Chicken Soup for the Soul books over the years, and this is one of my favourites so far. Maybe it's because the big-6-0 is advancing much faster than I could ever have imagined. Combined with humour and wisdom, this book also shows how life really can begin at 60!

Disclosure: Book received courtesy of Shelton Interactive/Chicken Soup for the Soul, in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that affirming feedback on my "Dye Hard" story! It has been more than two years since I disembarked from my career and my hair is still purple! (I'm starting to wonder what color it might really be under there by now but as long as they keep making purple dye, I don't need to know!) It is always such a nice to surprise to stumble on something someone has written about my writing. I am also now at that age when a good night's sleep is something I only dream about ; ) so I thank you especially for this lovely late-night treat. Mitchell Kyd www.mitchellkyd.com

    ReplyDelete