Nov 7, 2011

Digital Photography by Henry Horenstein


This thorough, concise, and easy-to-use guide to capturing digital photographs provides an entire step-by-step course for budding digital photographers. All concepts are fully illustrated with sample work by internationally renowned professionals, representing editorial work, photojournalism, and everything in between. Topics covered include essential information for both film and digital photography, such as exposure controls and shutter speed, as well as digital-specific information on image editing, printing methods, and even file storage. The first digital textbook by legendary photography teacher Henry Horenstein, Digital Photography is the best guide yet for aspiring digital photographers, essential both for photographers transitioning from film to digital and those learning the art of photography for the first time.

Henry Horenstein is a widely published and exhibited professional photographer and the author of more than two dozen books, including the classic texts Black & White Photography and Beyond Basic Photography, and monographs such as Honky Tonk, Animalia, Show, and Close Relations. Horenstein is a professor at the Rhode Island School of Design, where he has taught for more than twenty years. He lives and works in Boston.


Category: PHOTOGRAPHY
Format: TRADE PAPERBACK
Publish Date: 11/2/2011
Price: $29.99/$32.99
ISBN: 9780316020749
Pages: 240
Size: 8" x 9-1/4"

I consider myself a casual photographer, and sometimes I capture some amazing images, if I must say so myself. But more often than not, it is more of an accident than skill.

I was thrilled to have the opportunity to review Henry Horenstein's new book titled Digital Photography, A Basic Manual. The author assumes that the reader knows little or nothing about photography. (That's me!)

I enjoyed the chapter on setting different shutter speeds for different types of pictures, and how to capture better images when the subject is in motion.

There are details about common exposure problems including backlighting, low light, and the improper use of lenses. Light is a very important aspect of taking quality photos, and the author goes through different characteristics of light including intensity, quality, direction and contrast. I loved the examples shown of photos taken with improper lighting compared to proper conditions.

I make jewelry and in the past have attempted (not very successfully) to take closeups of some of my creations. The chapter on lighting was fascinating, and I will definitely try some of these methods the next time I need clear and flattering images of my jewelry creations.

My favourite part of the book is the chapter on Image Editing. I have often felt intimidated by all the editing tools and menus in my photo editing program, and this chapter was very helpful in explaining some of the common tools that can easily improve a photo.

Digital Photography is an awesome resource book that I will be using lots in the future. If you need some help with capturing some awesome photos on your digital camera, but don't know where to start, I highly recommend this book!

Disclosure: Book received courtesy of Little Brown/Hachette Books, in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment