Monday, February 20

Mornings with Jesus 2012, A Devotional

"Be still and know that I am God.” is one of the most beautiful verses from the Bible, but it’s not easy to practice in this busy world. Mornings with Jesus will help you do just that—“be still” in Jesus’ beautiful and powerful presence.

For those who are seeking a deeper experience in their relationship with Christ, Mornings with Jesus offers a fresh perspective of who Jesus is (the Healer, the Son of God, the Comforter, the Good Shepherd) and what that means for day-to-day life.

With a warm and friendly voice, 365 short devotional writings on the character and teachings of Jesus encourage readers to greet each day by drawing near to Him and inviting His presence into their day.

Spend time with Jesus at the beginning of each day and experience His nearness and peace in a new way throughout the year.

Each day’s selection includes:
  • a Bible verse
  • an entry based on Jesus: His words, miracles, and parables; His wisdom, compassion, and comfort; His mystery, power, divinity, and humanity 
  • a “faith step” that will inspire and challenge readers to apply the day’s message to their lives

You can buy the book here and check out other blog tour participants here

We all know how busy life is, and it seems harder and harder to find a few minutes to spend at the beginning of each day on our devotions. The book titled Mornings with Jesus 2012 is a fantastic way to start the day.

This book is written by seven unique authors - Judy Baer, Gwen Ford Faulkenberry, Tricia Goyer, Sharon Hinck, Keri Wyatt Kent, Erin Keeley Marshall, and Camy Tang. I would list several of these women on my favourite authors list because of their fiction books, and it was great to read some of their more personal thoughts. I love the wide variety of topics included in these devotionals.

While each of these authors may write a bit differently, there is an obvious common thread that weaves all their thoughts together. The devotionals are encouraging, inspirational, thought provoking, and often soul-searching. They challenge us to have a closer relationship with God and with each other.

The following is one of my favourite devotionals from this book, written by Tricia Goyer:


Tuesday, April 17th

Don't be selfish, don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don't look out only for your interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had." Philippians 2:3-5 (NIV)



Yesterday I thought I had my day planned. My goal was to tackle my to-do list and work on some freelance projects I was behind on. All that changed when I received a phone call from a teen mom who'd recently given birth. She had a doctor's appointment and needed a ride. Even though I had my plans, I felt nudged to lay down my interests for hers.

What started as one appointment turned into an all-day affair. The young mom asked to come to my house to use my computer to research some school reports. Then she asked to use my camera so she could get photos of her newborn. They were just simple things, really. How could I say no?

Sometimes I get overwhelmed with the needs of others, and it makes me consider how Jesus must have felt. He had crowds following Him, demanding His time. They wanted answers. They wanted to be healed. If Jesus - who was the Son of God - had an attitude of service and humility, should I do any less?

It's easy to complete a task; it's harder to impact a life. Marking another project off my to-do list won't matter for eternity. People matter most. When that young mom looks at those photos of her baby in the years to come, hopefully she'll remember our day and remember that there are those who love her with the love of Jesus.



FAITH STEP: Has someone asked you for help recently? Put down your interests and reach out to help that person, asking God to help you take on the attitude of Jesus Christ.


This particular devotional spoke to me in a very personal way. I know that I need to willingly put the needs of others ahead of my often "crazy busy" schedule. I have a hard time remembering when I last changed my personal schedule to give a hand or lend an ear to someone in need. These words have challenged me to take a close look at my own priorities.

For a fantastic start to your day, check out this book, you won't regret it.

One reader of this blog will win a copy of Mornings with Jesus 2012, click here for details. This giveaway ends on February 22nd, and comments left on this posting will not be included in the giveaway.

Disclosure: Review copy received through Litfuse Publicity Group in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment