Wednesday, April 25

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Family Caregivers

101 Stories of Love, Sacrifice and Bonding

Do you have a family member who requires constant care? You are not alone. This collection offers support and encouragement in its 101 stories for family caregivers of all ages, including the "sandwich" generation caring for a family member while raising their children. With stories by those on the receiving end of the care too. These stories of love, sacrifice, and lessons will inspire and uplift family members making sacrifices to make sure their loved ones are well cared for, whether in their own homes or elsewhere.



Family Caregivers is an incredible collection of stories that are shared with honesty and transparency.  Some are filled with hardship and sacrifice, while others talk about their gratitude to be able to share these amazing times with their loved ones. Some even made me laugh out loud, especially the one written by Sarelee Perel on page 259 titled,"When Your Caregiver Goes to Therapy."

I usually try to pick a favourite story when I review a Chicken Soup for the Soul title, and this time it is difficult to pick just one.  The story "Now I Take Care of You" written by George Schoengood beginning on page 101 really impacted me. It might be our normal tendency to think about the caregiver and how their lives change, especially when an elderly parent needs unlimited care. This particular story is written from the perspective of a 91 year old man who has become totally dependent on his son and his family.

Here is a short quote from George:

In thinking about it, what I have come to realize is that Matthew makes it easy on me to accept his caregiving. He never makes me feel like I am imposing on him or his family. In many ways, he's allowing me to keep my dignity and self esteem.

He focuses on the things I can do and not on the things I can't do anymore. Things that I am good at like playing the harmonica. I learned to play as a young boy and my family still asks me to perform for them. My niece, Jo Ann, often brings her clarinet over and we play duets together."


This sounds like an amazing relationship, and we can learn some very important lessons from these wise words.

This Family Caregivers collection is one of my favourite Chicken Soup for the Soul titles.

Disclosure: Book received courtesy of Shelton Interactive/Chicken Soup for the Soul, in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment