Sunday, May 13

Chicken Soup for the Soul: The Magic of Mothers and Daughters

101 Inspirational and Entertaining Stories about That Special Bond

Mothers and daughters. They are, at the same time, very similar and completely unique. This relationship — through birth, childhood, teen years, adulthood, grandchildren, aging, and every step in between — can be the best, the hardest, and the sweetest. Moms and daughters will laugh, cry, and find inspiration in this collection of entertaining, poignant, and heartwarming stories that remind them of their shared love, appreciation and special bond. A great gift for Mother's Day.

The Magic of Mothers and Daughters is the latest edition of the Chicken Soup for the Soul series, and it arrived just in time for some awesome Mother's Day reading. If you are a mother or a daughter, or both, you can easily relate to this great collection of stories that celebrates the special relationship between women.

I spent an awesome day yesterday with my mother, my daughter and my grandchildren. It sometimes amazes me to experience the strong connection shared between the four generations. Today has been a quiet day of reflection and reading this book. One particular story had me in stitches, as it is exactly how I felt yesterday. It is called "When I Wasn't Looking", on page 135.

The author of this story talks about how she feels when she looks at her daughter and her mother. It starts out like this:

I looked up the other day just in time to see my eighteen-year-old daughter walk by in my body.

Shocking, to say the least. Disillusioning, to say the most, because I've lived the last twenty years thinking I still had it. I don't.

I snagged my husband with that outfit, and I wore it proudly for quite a while. Now she's wearing it, and bless her heart, rather than leave me exposed to the elements, she left me with my mother's body.

I know because I caught a glimpse of it in the mirror. The face is mine, but the body is definitely Mom's.
My Mom is a spunky 85-year-old, full of life and laughter. My daughter is a strong, successful and independent single mother of three fabulous children. I fit somewhere in the middle, and my own identity seems kind of blurred at times. I see parts of myself in my daughter and I am finding more and more things in my life that remind me of my mother.

Reading this book has been a great way to spend Mother's Day. It has made me reflect on the magical mother/daughter relationship and I am thankful for all the special women in my life.  Whether mothers and daughters, sisters or special friends, there is nothing better than spending time with the women that we love.

I highly recommend this latest  book in the Chicken Soup series, and look forward to sharing it with my family.

Disclosure: Book received courtesy of Shelton Interactive/Chicken Soup for the Soul, in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment