Monday, August 6

Twang by Julie L. Cannon

Twenty-three-year-old Jennifer Clodfelter believes she is destined to be a country music star.  When her passion, determination and homemade demo tape were rejected by every music label in Nashville, she refused to give up. In just three years, a combination of guts and raw talent have propelled her on a journey of fame beyond her best dream.

Now Jennifer has all she ever wanted, only to discover that there is a dark side to the glitz and number one hits. She will have to decide whether to sing her pain to a loving audience or find the courage to face the music in the private studio of her heart.

Visit the author's website at http://juliecannon.info/

Title: Twang
Publisher: Abingdon Press
Pub Date: September 01, 2012
ISBN: 9781426714702

I was intrigued when I read the synopsis of this book, and I want to say that I loved the entire book from cover to cover.  Written in first person, I found this novel started out very slow, and I honestly struggled at times to stick with it. 

Jennifer's success story as a country music star is one of rags to riches. Her childhood was difficult, her memories haunted her, and she really didn't have any friends, other than her fans of course.  My favourite character in this book is Aint Gomer, the 87 year old aunt of Jennie's hairdresser and makeup artist. Colorful, affectionate, outspoken and often funny, this dear old woman was the highlight of the entire book!

Even after achieving her life's goal to become a success in the music industry, Jennifer still struggled with self-esteem, loneliness and there was always a deep hole in her heart that only a relationship with God could fill.

There are some real treasures in the book that I enjoyed, but overall, this book just didn't work for me.  I am sure many others will disagree with this review, but my goal as a book reviewer is to always be honest, and I guess we can't love them all.

Disclosure: Ebook received through Net Galley courtesy of Abingdon Press, in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment