Wednesday, September 26

The Shack Reflections by Wm. Paul Young

The powerful story found in The Shack written by Wm. Paul Young stole the hearts of millions and rocketed to fame by word-of-mouth, making it a phenomenon in publishing history. Now, THE SHACK: REFLECTIONS FOR EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR provides an opportunity for you to go back to the shack with Papa, Sarayu, and Jesus.

This 365 day devotional selects meaningful quotes from THE SHACK and adds prayers writer by W. Paul Young to inspire, encourage, and uplift you every day of the year.

Category: RELIGION
Format: HARDCOVER BOOK
Edition: Devotional
Publish Date: 10/2/2012
ISBN: 9781455523030
Pages: 384
Size: 5" x 7"

William Paul Young was born a Canadian and raised among a Stone Age tribe by his missionary parents in the highlands of former New Guinea. He suffered great loss as a child and young adult and now enjoys the "wastefulness of grace" with his family in the Pacific Northwest.

I must admit that I loved The Shack. I have heard so much controversy about it, and some of it makes me angry. Other discussions make me question why readers of this amazing little book just don't get it.

The number one requirement in order to understand The Shack Reflections is to first read The Shack with an open mind.  The Shack Reflections should be read slowly, one daily reflection at a time. It is structured with a short quote from the original book, and then followed by a one or two sentence response to the original text.

The following is a sample devotional for April 9, beginning with a quote from The Shack:

"I want to have a time of devotion."

Jesus reached across the table and took Papa's hands in his, scars now clearly visible on his wrists. "Papa, I loved watching you today, as you made yourself fully available to take Mack's pain into yourself, and then give him space to choose his own timing. You honored him, and you honored me. To listen to you whisper love and calm into his heart was truly incredible. What a joy to watch! I love being your son."

The author's response to the quote is as follows:

My heart leaps in the presence of such relational and natural intimacy. I want this.

I love this reflection! Just like the short response says, it is amazing to think of the relationship between Jesus and His Father, and our heart's greatest desire is to experience the same intimacy and love.

This is not a traditional devotional book, and it does not include a corresponding daily scripture. Instead, it is daily reflection of some precious moments from the original book.

I look forward to reading this one again, slowly and reflectively.

Disclosure: Book received through Hachette Book Group/Faith Words, in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment