Translation: New King James Version
Length: 1696 Pages
Publication Date: October 9, 2012
Company: Thomas Nelson
See a preview here
I have a passion for God's word, and our personal library has an extensive collection of different formats and translations. This brand new NKJV Gaither Homecoming Bible immediately became a favourite in our house.
Browsing through this Bible was a journey through old familiar songs, quotes, and tidbits about some of my favourite musicians too.
Here's a quote from N.T. Wright, found on page 440:
On Page 1215, I was thrilled to find the words to a song that brought back sweet memories of my childhood. "He Touched Me" was one of my Dad's favourite songs, and I remember him singing it so many years ago. As Dad got older, he often would sit in his recliner chair with his eyes closed, and quietly sing and worship. "He Touched Me" was one of his favourite songs. My Dad passed away almost two years ago, and I wish I could share this Bible with him. He would have loved it!!
Following the song lyrics, there is a story about Doug Oldham's life, and what inspired him to write this amazing song. As I get older, I am finding that the old familiar hymns have become more and more precious to me, and browsing through this Bible was like a sweet journey through time.
The following features are listed in the introduction pages:
- Gloria Gaither explains the inspiration for twenty-five Gaither songs
- Stories behind fifty of the world's most popular hymns and gospel songs
- Devotional articles by Homecoming artists and writers on their favorite passages of Scripture
- Scripture devotions by Gloria Gaither
- Quotes from greats of the faith reflecting on the importance of music in the life of believers
- Original poems by Gloria Gaither
- Five inspiring articles by Gloria Gaither on the significance of music throughout the Bible and in the lives of today's believers
I really enjoyed seeing the photos and reading the short bio of dozens of contributors to this Bible, many of whom are familiar faces from the Gaither shows.
This New King James Version is a fantastic and easy to understand translation. This hardcover edition is filled with vibrant colors, peaceful scenery shots, great quotes, interesting history of well known and loved songs, and favourite Bible verses of some favourite singers. I highly recommend this Bible to readers of all ages!
Disclosure: Bible has been provided courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available at your favourite bookseller from Thomas Nelson.