Monday, October 8

The Shack Revisited by C. Baxter Kruger

Millions have found their spiritual hunger satisfied by William P. Young's #1 New York Times bestseller, The Shack--the story of a man lifted from the depths of despair through his life-altering encounter with God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Now C. Baxter Kruger's THE SHACK REVISITED guides readers into a deeper understanding of these three persons to help readers have a more profound connection with the core message of The Shack--that God is love.

An early fan of The Shack and a close friend to its author, Kruger shows why the novel has been enthusiastically embraced by so many Christians worldwide. In the words of William P. Young from the foreword to THE SHACK REVISITED, "Baxter Kruger will stun readers with his unique cross of intellectual brilliance and creative genius as he takes them deeper into the wonder, worship, and possibility that is the world of The Shack."

Publish Date: 10/2/2012
ISBN: 9781455516803

C. BAXTER KRUGER, Ph.D. is a Trinitarian scholar and the Director of Perichoresis Ministries, a ministry dedicated to the recovery of the gospel of the Triune God. He has degrees in political science, psychology and his Doctor of Philosophy from Kings College, Aberdeen, Scotland. He is the author of seven books published by his ministry and teaches around the world.

Every once in a while we receive a message so strong that it wakes our inner self to the absolute truth of who are as individuals.

Before reading and understanding The Shack Revisited you must first read The Shack with an open mind. Do not allow yourself to put God in a box, a box of your own limited perspective of who God really is.

The Shack Revisited is a detailed commentary on The Shack. Baxter Kruger takes us into a world of understanding God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit in a deeper and more intimate way than many of us have experienced.

I think the following quote sums up the whole book, and we could easily and realistically substitute our own name instead of Mackenzie Allen Phillips.

"But why me? I mean, why Mackenzie Allen Phillips? Why do you love someone who is such a screw-up? After all the things I've felt in my heart toward you and all the accusations I made, why would you even bother to keep trying to get through to me?"

"Because that is what love does," answered Papa. (The Shack, p. 188-189)

In this book, I can't help but see my own life. Just like Mac, I also long to belong to this community of God, where there is unconditional acceptance and love. There is no shame, and no physical and emotional pain. There is love, warmth and total security in knowing that I am included in this Holy Communion of the Triune God.

I had to read The Shack again, and this time I had a much better understanding of the characters of Papa, Jesus, and Sarayu. I felt totally connected with Mac and could feel his big sadness, his pain, his feeling of belonging, and even his anguish at seeing his little girl again. I could also feel his peace when he finally realized that all was well, just as it should be.

Both of these books are "must reads" for anybody regardless of where they are in their life and circumstances. Thank you Wm. Paul Young and Baxter Kruger for allowing God to use you in these books.

(My husband and I both had input on this review.  We both love the book!)

Disclosure:  Book received courtesy of Hachette Book Group/Faith Words in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. I read The Shack a long time ago and still remember how separating the Trinity just rubbed me the wrong way. Still wonder why one needs to separate them to understand, Father, Son, Holy Ghost...Have talked to others and they said the same thing.

    ReplyDelete