Feb 24, 2013

20,000 Days and Counting by Robert D. Smith

The Crash Course For Mastering Your Life Right Now

Most people sleepwalk through day-to-day life, passively letting time slip away. Unfortunately, the only thing that can usually wake people up to the intensity of life is impending death. But what if it didn't have to be that way? 20,000 Days presents breathtakingly simple strategies and concepts that, once applied, will enable readers to be 100% present and intentional with every passing minute of every day, for the rest of their lives.

The book is designed to be read in under an hour and the effect is immediate. Within each segment are tactics for mastering control for your life; principles such as:

  • Motivation is a myth
  • You only have two choices, yes and no
  • How to conquer rejection forever
  • How BECOMING the problem will SOLVE all your problems
  • Three sentences that will change your life immediately

These timeless principles apply to everyone from the pending graduate to the seasoned business professional; from the time-starved parent to the weary pastor to the restless entrepreneur.

On the 20,000th day of his life, the author sent an email that inspired and reminded a group of people of all ages to live in the moment. This group now includes you.

How many days have you been alive? And how many more days will you have? Today I am 20,403 days old. It is hard to believe that so many days have been added to my personal history, and what do I really have to show for it?

Robert D. Smith has written a short and poignant "crash course" to help in mastering our lives right now. No excuses, no procrastination allowed. Just do it!

One of my favourite parts of this book is a little prayer or life statement that became a vital part of Robert Smith's life. He attributes the following to Dr. Norman Vincent Peale.

I believe I am always divinely guided.
I believe I will always take the right turn in the road.
And I believe God will always make a way where there is no way.

He goes on to say that this prayer "literally covers any situation, problem, difficulty, setback, tragedy, or disaster that you will ever experience in life".

Most of us have a personal bucket list. We plan to "someday" devote our time to certain things, before it's too late.

Last month, my husband passed away. He was only 23,902 days old, and just a few months into retirement. There were many things on his bucket list that he never got a chance to experience. Losing someone you love makes a person take a look at their own mortality.

The arrival of this book was very timely, and maybe I got more out of it than some others might. With the recent loss in my own life, I am so aware of the value of caring for others and treasuring our relationships.

No matter what stage of life we are in, we need to start counting our days. Not counting days down, but instead count them up! We should be grateful for all the days that we have been allowed to spend here on earth.

The most important thing I learned from this book is to never forget that each day could be our last.

I highly recommend this one!

Disclosure: Review copy received courtesy of Book Sneeze, in exchange for my honest review.

1 comment:

  1. I think you received this book just when you needed it, and it does sound helpful for anyone. Here is a hug from me to you, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete